Wednesday, 10 February 2010

Being Bi Lingual

You really wouldn't think that living in England would require you to learn a whole new language, but it does. Someone once said that "England and America were two countries separated by a common language"..and they were right. There are so many different words for normal everyday stuff.
Here are some examples:
Parking Lot (USA)=Car Park (UK)
Sidewalk (USA)=Pavement (UK)
Sneakers (USA)=Trainers (UK)
Underwear (USA)= Knickers or Pants (UK)
Trunk of a car (USA)=Boot (UK)
Hood of car (USA)=Bonnet (UK)
Lunch (USA)=dinner (UK)
Dinner(USA)=Tea (UK)

It took me awhile to get used to these changes in vocabulary...and it took my brain a little longer to process. I still say pants and mean the jeans I am wearing..but when their faces go pail I realize that I just said the wrong thing...Never ever say the word Fanny over here. It doesn't mean behind it means Vagina...So now I find myself after living here for awhile I am finally starting to become bi lingual in both languages...and it shows how close our two countries are but at the same time how different they both seem to be at the same time...I have a lot more to learn and I look forward to it. But I sometimes get confused trying to figure out what the right words are.

No comments:

Post a Comment