Thursday, 14 January 2010

Normal Life

Well it is another beautiful day here in Brixham. Brixham is a small fishing village on the southwest coast of England. We have a beautiful harbor and beautiful beaches. (And for those of you who think that now I live here I should be using the British spelling of things you are wrong lol..I can't justify putting in an extra 'u" in a word). The hills and farmland are green with sheep and horses on the hill.
The one thing about this beautiful little town is the people. Everyone knows everyone else. So you can never get away with anything and if you ever need gossip you just need to wait and eventually someone will be telling you. I remember the first time I was home at night by myself cause Jason was working. I decided to order Chinese and have it deliver. As Jason walked in the door of the house that night he said oh I heard you had this for dinner. And he listed off what I ordered. So it is almost impossible to plan any kind of surprise here.
The people are very nice. And there is something really cool about having to walk everywhere and having people say hi to you as you are walking around. It is way different then life in Pennsylvania.
Life in the UK isn't the only thing you need to get used to. It is the food. Instead of Pizza on a Friday night most Brits get Fish and chips...there is beans on toast, cheese on toast, or you can have a jacket potato (baked potato) with beans on it or cheese or tuna...the vegetables are different to...like Swede, Parsnips, and spring cabbage...they eat a lot of brussel sprouts. (that is one vegetable that I will never ever like)...I sometimes crave food from the states that I can't get here. And trying to get used to the food here has been a little difficult for me. But it is all an adventure...there are some very good things that I love...chips with cheese (steak fries with cheese), sausage rolls (puff pastry around sausage)..I have even found that I like the mushy pea fritter...if I try to explain it to you it will just gross you out lol...
I am getting used to trying to cook some British dishes. On Sunday's they have a big roast dinner. I have yet to cook one yet. But someday I will gear myself up and do that...but for now I am just getting used to life here in Brixham.
Living in a small touristy town has its advantages. I have been lucky enough to be part of the town ghost walk in the summer. I have taken part in a few parades and was able to join theatre group The South Devon Players that helped me make friends and got me involved. For awhile I was involved in a choir in the town. So there are a lot of things to get involved with and that has been a great helping me feel part of the community.
I love the pace of life here. It isn't hectic or stressed. Its just right...

1 comment:

  1. Great post!! You're right, there are a lot of funny foods to get used to. However, I will NEVER eat mushy peas!! Ick! Brussels sprouts on the other hand, I love! You should try them roasted in the oven with olive oil, salt and fresh ground pepper. They are divine!

    ReplyDelete